10 Tips to Green Any Vacation
Easy Eco-travel Advice
Green travel doesn’t mean sleeping in a treehouse or backpacking into a jungle to rescue orangutans, but simply keeping a few Earth-friendly ideas in mind when planning a summer vacation. Of course, when traveling to a foreign country, making an effort to get to know the people, their culture and a few words of their language, respecting local customs and showing appreciation also go a long way toward avoiding the label of “Ugly American.” The easiest eco-travel tips are these:
1. Pack lightly.
2. Find a “green” hotel or eco-lodge.
3. Book a downtown hotel that is walking distance from sights.
4. Take short showers, reuse towels and switch off lights, heat and air conditioning when leaving the room.
5. Ask if the hotel recycles, and participate.
6. Take a non-plastic water bottle that can be refilled.
7. Use public transportation.
8. Eat vegetarian, or at least meals comprised of local meats and produce.
9. Always stay on marked trails and be respectful of nature and wildlife.
10. Buy locally produced gifts and souvenirs to support the local economy.
Sources: www.MSNBC.com/GreenTravel, www.Geekabout.com, www.IndependentTraveler.com