Button Batteries Imperil Bambinos

Caution to Parents




Button-type lithium batteries are all around us, powering remote controls, keyless entry devices for cars, flameless candles, watches, greeting cards and other devices. Parents should be aware that these batteries are attractive to small children and if swallowed, can dissolve and cause serious damage to the esophagus in as little as two hours.

The National Safety Council reports that the number of children swallowing these batteries quadrupled between 2005 and 2010, to 3,400 cases, yet 62 percent of parents are unaware of the danger.

Edit ModuleShow Tags

More from Natural Awakenings

Tonsillectomies Help Only Temporarily

Children have fewer school absences and infections in the first year after a tonsillectomy, but the benefits ebb over time, reports a Vanderbilt University Medical Center study of 10,000 children.

Pre-K Education Linked to Better Health 26 Years Later

South Carolina 4-year-olds who received a pre-K schooling focused on language skills had healthier hearts and no signs of metabolic syndrome at age 30.

Antibacterials May Make Kids Allergy-Prone

Antibacterial soaps, toothpastes, and other personal care products appear to depress children’s immune systems, raising the risk of pollen, pet and food allergies.

Drinks Tied to Tooth Trouble

Sports and energy drinks may cause irreversible damage to teeth, especially among adolescents.

Reading Helps Teens Beat the Blues

According to a new study, reading may help reduce the risk of depression in teens.
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags